Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The "Dollar-Cost Averaging" Myth

This article points out that Dollar-cost averaging is not a guaranteed way to make money. We all should have know this, but the way it is marketed, it looks like it is an excellent way to make good returns off your investments.

I think that putting yourself on a schedule to invest is a good way to invest though. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to invest the same amount every month. I think that if you have an investment schedule, than you are more likely to maintain it, then if you just invest when you think about it.

I have several DRiP accounts, one of which is in Pfizer (PFE). Currently I am down on my Pfizer investment, but I feel that this is a good company to invest in. So when it dropped earlier this year, I increased my monthly contribution to that account.

I also have a DRiP account in a regional bank that charges for automatic investments, but does not charge for optional cash purchases. So I invest when I have spare money, or I feel the stock is at a good point for investment.

I will have an article on DRiP accounts in the near future, so you will have a better idea of what they are and how they work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home